What a crazy day....  I just finished my final weekend at Six Flags.  And I was toasted.  I was out late on Thursday after my gig at Boneshakers.   Got to talking with Phil and Blanca; and chatted for much longer than I intended to be out.  Then it was up for a music-filled, noon-6 shift in 104 degree heat.  Somehow, I got it into my head I didn't need much sleep on Friday either.  Ended up watching movies and having one cocktail too many.  Saturday morning came way too soon and with a slight headache.  But it was only 102 that day for my 6 hours in the sun.  Got done, came home, ate dinner and went off to my 9:30pm-1:30am gig that night at a bar on the Westside.  I was in bed shortly after 2:30am and then it was up and at 'em for the final shift of the season.  A mild and pleasant 99 degrees.  Got home, planted myself on the couch and ate and drank until bedtime. 

Monday was up early and hitting the computer hard.  Got a TON of work done on the NW LoopFest.  Got some new graphics uploaded courtesy of our first sponsor!    Got most of the bios in and posted. Got the tech sheet over half way done. Finished booking all of the artists. Got links from everyone.  Had a chat with a lady who will film the fest. Sent off some inquires for fest support.  Booked some tour gigs.  Booked some local gigs and Rico Reeds sent me a nice email, saying they'll send me some reeds!  Yay more sponsorship!  The day melted away faster than I could imagine.

A little tired today, which is odd. I wasn't up late and slept well.  Oh well... need to do some domestic stuff, car stuff and practice for Friday. Got a funky trio gig in Houston. 

You know, sometimes it's just easier to put your thoughts down than it is to talk to someone.  And in the muisc biz, it's always hard to talk to someone.  Everyone is on the go, too much to do, too much undone, way behind, etc...  But even on the friend level it's very hard.  I work odd hours and odd times.  My closest friend these days is my semi-retired neighbor whose in his 60s.  And it's only because he's around during the day and we both like to work outdoors.  But it's not like we talk shop.  Even my wife, who is my best friend I can't really get everything in with.  She's at work all day and when she gets home she hits the domestic stuff, needs to unwind, has her own home projects to attend, she needs to blow some steam or let me know what happened during the day, I give her an update on the relevant biz and then it's cocktails, dinner and movie/internet and off to bed.   Mostly I'm at home alone all day.  Working quite a bit. Lots of internet work, some days a lot of phone calls, some days it's literally hundreds of emails, and endless computer work.  This is interspersed with home repair projects, yard work, domestic duties and being a good neighbor.  Usually some exercise in the form disc golf is in there, but not for the past 2 months.  :(  It's a little lonely, but I'm used to it.  The hard part is staying grounded and being able to have decent social interactions. Measuring progress is important too.  It's a long, slow grind you do mostly by yourself.  Most of my social interactions are on facebook or email.  Texting is usually biz or my wife.  You just burying yourself in it every day, all day trying to keep the bills paid, trying to get ahead, trying to do cool things, trying to make good music, trying to stay in contact with people.  That being said, there are some very, very cool moments.  Years ago, I was getting into all kinds of weird music because of my friend Zach Spiezer.  We'd hang out, listen to records for hours, make some recordings, jam, listen to more music, talk, eat.  It was awesome.  All my time with him I treasure.  Somehow I got it into my head we should do a record.  Looong story short - we did.  It's called Bump.  It's pretty funky.  One of things I did on that CD was bring in a couple of turn-tablists.  (Djs, scratchers)  One was a young Kenny Vanderberg AKA DJ FlipFlop.  He came and torn it up.  Not too long ago, Kenny got in touch with me.  Turns out DJ FlipFlop has kept up on his craft and is now at the top of his game.  He wins DJ competitions, tours with world-reknown talent and is, in general, a serious bad-ass DJ.  He just came in 8th at the DMC U.S. Finals.  This guy is on my record. MY record.  And he's cool.  When I get to see the success of people I know, people I have worked with, people I have done cool projects with; it's a beautiful thing.  I am stoked for his success, I am giddy that I have him on my record.  This is a cool moment.  Watching your colleagues kick some ass is awesome.  Congrats Kenny.  You're the man.



It started around 5am.  I don't get up then, I stay up that late.  Except today.  For some reason I was awake. I tried going back to sleep but it was just tossing and turning and finally I had enough and just got up and hit the computer.  Day started off productive and ahead of schedule.  Got some research done, some phone calls made for recordings I want to put out.  Had a nice chat with a exec for a new licensing company for my label, got some errands done and was looking forward to checking out some venues for the San Antonio LoopFest on the way home. 

Somewhere in there I looked at my mail and saw that a check I had been expecting wasn't as big as it should have been.  Sure enough, there was something missing in the complex world of union recording paperwork.  This caused me to have a minor freakout.  Emails were sent, phone calls were made and no word was heard.  I dove into my files, sent more email, made more phone calls - East Coast, West Coast, and the waiting...ugh.  Tried to do some other biz as I calmed down and start crunching numbers.  Things aren't making sense to me.  Talked a little more made some headway, scanned and emailed.  Basically shot the whole afternoon trying to run this thing down.  Why some much effort?  Because I'm not getting some money I should be getting.  And I'm not talking about a lot of money either.  But I'm a musician, it all makes a huge difference.  Those extra dollars over the years really add and really make a difference. uggh.... Anyway...got people working on it. Fortunately I keep pretty good files and had all of my info.  But there are other records I don't have records of and those are the ones I'm getting screwed on.  So the waiting continues.

In the meantime, I'm still looking for more loopers for the NW Fest.  Some guy in Austria sends me his latest video as his previous material wasn't looking like he'd be a good fit for the fest.  Great voice, nice mellow groove, but kind of dirty.  Lays a little beatbox down, plays his song, loops for jamming and stacks some vocals at the end.  Nice. He's like me in that he does actual song forms.  So that's cool, and he's pretty different from everybody else I have going, and, most oddly - he's a guitarist.  (I think I have an equal amount of cello's and guitars booked so far.)   And he's living in Vienna Austria but originally from Seattle.  It's a done deal.   He's totally in.  Out of nowhere his sister emails me and says she has a promotions company and wants to help with the fest to support her brother.   Talk about turning my afternoon around...

Of course by now, the afternoon is shot.  I had some house repairs to attend to (I have a fixer-upper in San Antonio) and didn't get to that at all.  And I have two records to do in the fall.  One in Denver in Sept, one in Portland in Oct and I'm waaaay behind on songwriting.  Today was supposed to be a composing day.  All in all, it had some serious ups and downs.  

I did get the dough made for dinner tonight.  Home-made pizza! 

I'm glad I keep up on my paperwork.  I wish I was a little more aware of some of these union procedural things, but there is no manual and not much help to get them going or anywhere along the way.  I'm glad I keep good files.  I'm glad I have a bunch of gin in the cabinet and I'm glad that I have the good fortune to grind out a living in the music business.  Let's see if I can get a song or 4 written tomorrow... we'll see what the day brings.




Noah Peterson

     Greetings Friends, Family and Fans!  Once again it's time for your monthly enterainer!  If you no longer wish to receive these epistles of fun-filled goodness, simply click unsubscribe at the bottom or reply with a note and I'll happily remove you "from the list."


                At long last "Tip the Band" has release it's debut CD call, (what else) Beer Drinkin' Songs!  It features Noah Peterson on washboard and vocals (yes, that's washboard AND vocals), Denver's own folk-maestro Dick Weissman on Banjo, Guitar and Vocals and Portland's original Bad-boy of Blues, James Miller on bass and vocals.  These groovy cats get down hill-billy style for some foot-stompin' Americana with flavors of folk, blues, zydeco, bluegrass and country.  Grab a cold one, kick your feet up and great ready to laugh and tap your toes to these fun and funny, songs!

Tip the Band

          The new website is finally launched: www.noahpeterson.com Please stop by and take a look.  There's some new stuff to see, tunes to listen to and, of course, gigs to go to! 

           The Fall tour is shaping up quite nicely, lots of shows to play across the Western United state.  Make sure and check out when I'm coming to your town.  Dates are still being booked.  I've also got my educational program "Imagine: Music!" ready to go.  If you'd like to have it at your school, send me an email.  A couple of noteable stops are as follows:                      

        The NW LoopFest is back and bigger than ever!  (www.nwloopfest.com) Two shows in Seattle on Oct 10th and 11th and two and two shows in Portland on Oct 12th and 13th. Loopers from overseas, around the country and a strong representation of Northwest talent will showcase their technological wizardy and collective creative awesomeness for all to behold.  Tickets for the Seattle show are already on sale.  Check out the webpage for whose coming and what night they are playing.  I'm still adding talent to the roster, so come back often.  We're also in need of donations and sponsors for this multi-city event -so if you are a business that wants to get a few eyeballs on your services and products whilst helping to put on a very cool concert event - contact me! 


     For a sampling of some of that loopy goodness, don't forget to get your copy of my "Solo Sax Sessions CD!  Funk, tropical grooves, New Orleans Blues, latin tunes and more are all on this one-man band, live-looping CD.

And now.. for the moment you've all been waiting for: SHOWTIMES!!


8/1 9pm Solo Sax Sessions, Boneshakers 306 Austin St. San Antonio TX      www.boneshakersonline.com/


8/2 noon Solo Sax Sessions, Six Flags 17000 IH-10 West San Antonio TX


8/3 noon Solo Sax Sessions, Six Flags 17000 IH-10 West San Antonio TX


8/4 noon Solo Sax Sessions, Six Flags 17000 IH-10 West San Antonio TX


8/8 9pm Solo Sax Sessions, Boneshakers 306 Austin St. San Antonio TX    www.boneshakersonline.com/


8/9 noon Solo Sax Sessions, Six Flags 17000 IH-10 West San Antonio TX


8/10 noon Solo Sax Sessions, Six Flags 17000 IH-10 West San Antonio TX


8/10 9:30pm   Solo Sax Sessions, Wetmore City Limits 12329 Wetmore Rd  San Antonio TX www.reverbnation.com/venue/wetmorecitylimitsbar


8/11 noon Solo Sax Sessions, Six Flags 17000 IH-10 West San Antonio TX


8/15 9pm Solo Sax Sessions, Boneshakers 306 Austin St. San Antonio TX     www.boneshakersonline.com/


8/16 8pm Rod Nightingale + C4 Influenz, The Cellar Door 829 S. Mason, Suite 280     Katy TX www.cellardoorkaty.com/


8/16 noon Solo Sax Sessions, Six Flags 17000 IH-10 West San Antonio TX


8/17 noon Solo Sax Sessions, Six Flags 17000 IH-10 West San Antonio TX


8/18 noon Solo Sax Sessions, Six Flags 17000 IH-10 West San Antonio TX


8/22 9pm Solo Sax Sessions, Boneshakers 306 Austin St. San Antonio TX   www.boneshakersonline.com/


8/23 noon Solo Sax Sessions, Six Flags 17000 IH-10 West San Antonio TX


8/24 noon Solo Sax Sessions, Six Flags 17000 IH-10 West San Antonio TX


8/25 noon Solo Sax Sessions, Six Flags 17000 IH-10 West San Antonio TX


8/29, 9pm Solo Sax Sessions, Boneshakers 306 Austin St. San Antonio TX   www.boneshakersonline.com/


8/29 2pm Solo Sax Sessions, Morning Side Ministries, Pvt Event Boerne TX


8/30 8pm Rod Nightingale + C4 Influenz,   The Cellar Door 829 S. Mason, Suite 280"  Katy  TX,       www.cellardoorkaty.com/


8/30 noon Solo Sax Sessions, Six Flags 17000 IH-10 West San Antonio TX


8/31 noon Solo Sax Sessions, Six Flags 17000 IH-10 West San Antonio TX

Can't believe July is almost over...I feel like I'm behind on things. Web work, composing, recording, house repairs... it's never-ending.  On the other hand, I'm playing a ton of music.  My amusement park gig on Fri/Sat/Sun is pretty incredible.  I just sit in the sun for 5.5 hours working my loop station magic.  I pack as many tunes in as I possible can.  The time goes by rather quick when you're doing it like that.  Can't seem to break 75 tunes.  I keep trying hard though.  It's a fun thing to do!   I'm getting ideas for new songs, finally started working some brand new tunes in as well as getting some better ideas for more regular arrangements on the jams.   

I'm also getting a lot more funky stuff, the wah pedal is addicting.  Plus it's the environment.  20,000 plus walking by for such brief periods of time.  It's difficult to play the slow, longer developing songs.  I really want to hit them with something cool and upbeat.  It's a lot of work and the heat is mid 90s to low 100s everyday.  Come Monday I'm wiped out...which isn't good.  I have too much to do...tour planning!!!  Better get back to it.

Things are coming along nicely.  Got some Starbucks and some internet finally!  First day was a monster.  Up at 4:30am, in bed at 3:30am.  1100 Miles driven and a stop in Mobile, Alabama for some BBQ and a show at The Shedd BQQ and Blues Joint.  I sure do love that southern BBQ, slathered in sauce, spicy, sweet and yummy.  The Texas rub (what they call BBQ) is okay, but I got to have me some sauce.  That's what it's all about. 

Spent the 4th at my brother's place in Jacksonville, FL.  Did some yard work, played in the pool with the kiddies, did a little grillin' and fireworks in the rain.  Of course, since I didn't have much sleep I was ready for an early bedtime.  Got down the road a little towards Orlando today and looking forward to the show tonight.

As I was hanging out poolside, my bro and were napping and just watching the kids; talking a little about life, family stuff, jobs, etc...  it was a great time.  Sure do love my family.  Get to see an old Marine buddy tomorrow.  Spending my "spare" time working on the website.  No disc golf this trip. :( 


New website!

RSS feed